Katie's Reviews > Chaucer's Canterbury Tales

Chaucer's Canterbury Tales by Geoffrey Chaucer

Sep 23, 2009

bookshelves: sociology, history
Recommended to Katie by: The attic at Wait Avenue Co-op
Recommended for: High school students. All of them.
Read in January, 1993

Ok, trying again after GoodReads erased my review. We didn't read this book in high school, and after reading it in the modern vernacular-- possibly this edition--I can't understand why! It's full of high chivalry, razor-sharp social and political commentary, soppy moralism and drippy romance--all best for 10th graders. Plus sex. Lots o' sex. Sex jokes. Grody sex jokes. Oh, that silly Miller...Yeah, can't see why Mrs. Jones didn't sic this on us instead of Sinners In the Hands of An Angry God, that perennial favorite of middle American English Lit sadists.
Not that I am bitter.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Chaucer's Canterbury Tales.

message 1: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Actually, we read both Chaucer (including the miller's tale) and Sinners in the Hands of an Angry God. Maybe Mrs. Jones was more enlightened by the time I got to her, maybe she was frightened of letting your class at it (and who wouldn't be), or maybe we read it in Mrs. Wiseman's class. But I don't think so.

Katie What do you mean, who wouldn't be scared of my class??? Ooooo!

The unexpurgated Miller's Tale?

Dang!

message 3: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca yep, unexpurgated.

Katie Way cool. She must have been scared of someone in my class. Michelle C., or somebody.