Hilcia's Reviews > The Tudor Rose

The Tudor Rose by Margaret Campbell Barnes

Oct 04, 09

bookshelves: my-bookshelf, fiction, impressions-blog-review, favorite, historical
Read in September, 2009

Campbell Barnes begins the story of Elizabeth of York from 1483, when the French King breaks the betrothal contract between Elizabeth and his son Charles. Through Elizabeth's eyes, we see history develop as she takes us through her father, Edward IV's death and its dire consequences. The imprisonment of the two princes in the Tower (Elizabeth's brothers) by Richard of Gloucester's and later when he ceases the crown and becomes Richard III, the attempts on his life and eventual death at the hands of Henry of Richmond. Through it all Elizabeth is a pawn between these two men. Henry VII, the first Tudor King needs her to secure the crown as much as Richard did. She marries him and gives birth to the great Tudor dynasty. The book takes us right before her death.

There were a couple of instances where creative license was taken, but for the most part Campbell Barnes uses known history accurately and beautifully. The writer weaves history and fiction almost seamlessly.I love the way she develops and explores the characters in this book. She specifically explores the duality in their personalities and lets the reader be the judge. Richard III's character is particularly fascinating in his duality and tended to take over the pages. Henry VII's characterization was more subtle although no less effective.

1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Tudor Rose.

09/26/2009 page 167