Kelly's Reviews > Suite Française

Suite Française by Irène Némirovsky

Oct 03, 2007

it was ok
Read in October, 2006

There is nothing more consistent in ppl than their way of expressing anger.

After all, people judge one another according to their own feelings. it is only the miser who sees others enticed by money, the lustful who sees others obsessed by desire.

Q: so what makes it alright, theN?
A: my certainty that deep down, I'm a free man, he said after thinking for a moment. its a constant, precious possession, and whether i keep it or lose it is up to me and no one else.

..that sense of propriety which makes us pretend we share other people's sense of misfortune when we're with them (although egotism invariably distorts our best intentions so that in all innocence we say to someone dying of tuberculosis, "i do feel for you, i do understand, ive had a cold i can't shake for 3 weeks now")

what separates or unites ppl is not their language, their laws, their customs, their principles, but the way they hold their knife and fork.

they felt a strange happiness, an urgent need to reveal their hearts to each other - the urgency of lovers, which is already a gift, the very first one, the gift of the soul before the body surrenders. "know me. look at me. this is who i am. this is how i have lived, this is what i have loved. and you? what about you my darling?"

ethereal vs. ephemeral
VERBOTEN bolsheviks

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Suite Française.