Lily's Reviews > Zero at the Bone

Zero at the Bone by Jane Seville

May 16, 2014

bookshelves: ebook, m-m, challenge-books-2009, medical, loved-it, action-mystery-suspense, what-i-read-in-2009, challenge-books-2014, what-i-read-in-2014, contemporary, law-enforcement-private-i, length-novel
Read from May 14 to 15, 2014 , read count: 1

Read again for the Re-Romancing Favorites Challenge and I loved it just as much as the first time I read it.

Original review from Nov 2009:
Dr. Jack Francisco witnesses a murder as he leaves work one day and before he knows it his life has changed completely. Taken into protective custody and moved across country until he can testify against the killers, Jack finds himself separated from his friends, family and patients. While he is naturally upset at the situation Jack is at heart a good and honorable man and knows that he needs to do everything he can to bring the killers to justice.

D is a hit man with a conscience. An apparent cold and ruthless killer he nevertheless draws the line at killing innocent "good" people. When his handler brings him the contract to kill a witness to a murder he turns it down. Unfortunately for D someone is determined to make him take the job. Blackmailed but with no clue as to who is forcing him D accepts the contract to kill Jack Francisco. But when he's face to face with his intended victim D can't kill him. He recognizes that Jack is a good man and instead of killing him D knows he must protect Jack from the other hit men who are sure to accept the contract that he isn't fulfilling.

What follows is an action packed thriller that is full of suspense and action yet at the same time is also an emotional and sensual story. These two men are total opposites yet develop a connection that profoundly affects their lives. I really loved both Jack and D. Jack is outgoing, secure in who he is, looks for the good in others and I found his personality to be a good foil for D's quiet and taciturn nature. For all that D is a killer and appears to be totally unemotional he is in fact a man who has suffered so much and done things he's sure he can never be forgiven for. Full of guilt for a tragedy he blames himself for he has closed himself off from his emotions.

On the run from the people that are after them both they find themselves drawn more and more to each other. Jack is able to slowly get D to open up and start to accept that he is in fact not just the killer he judges himself to be but rather a man who has seen and done both good and bad in his life. I absolutely loved the way the relationship between them develops from their first meeting where D holds Jack's very life in his hands to the end of the story where it's clear that they have found in each other a love that makes them complete in all ways.

The secondary characters in this story are also very well written. From the agents helping Jack to the bad guys trying to kill him as well as D's associates, these characters all contribute in some way to the storyline. In a book this long, over 300 pages, it would be easy to populate it with 'filler' characters but in this case the flow and development of the story incorporates the secondary characters quite well.

Another aspect that I really enjoyed was the attention to detail presented throughout the book. The ins and outs of being a hit man as well as the information on the Witness Protection program was very interesting to read. I enjoyed the adventure as D and Jack went on the run as well as the more relaxing times as they hunkered down and got to know each other. Reading the book I could so clearly see what a fabulous movie it could be. Two heroes, one noble and kind, the other a tortured soul needing to be saved, bad guys galore, lots of thrills and adventure and through it all a wonderfully emotional love story with some super hot sex scenes. I'd plunk down my money at my local movie theater to see it. And buy the DVD to watch it again and again.

This absolutely fantastic story is intense and gripping from page one to the very end and you just won't want to put it down. The plot is fast paced yet flows really well throughout. The strength of the story however is in the characters themselves, Jack and D and the dynamics of their relationship. I loved how Jack was slowly able to get D to let him see the real man under the hit man facade and that D was able to lean on Jack and come to believe in himself once again. While there are several explicit and hot sex scenes in the book they are not in any way the main focus of the book. Instead it's the emotional bond and the trust and love that develops between these two very different men that's the focus of the book.

Zero at the Bone is one of the most intense and satisfying stories I've read this year. Wonderfully written with great characters and a tightly woven plot this is a book that I know I'll enjoy reading many times over. Definitely 5 stars and I highly recommend it.
34 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Zero at the Bone.

11/07/2009 page 36
11/07/2009 page 107
34.74% "D, my new favorite letter of the alphabet."
11/08/2009 page 227
73.7% "What a great story. I love D and Jack, the excitement and suspense, their emotional connection and the sex scenes which are hot!!"
11/09/2009 page 308
100.0% "I loved this story!!" 2 comments
show 1 hidden update…

Erotic Horizon How is this so far.... I just bumped it over to read Love & Loyalty...

E.H>

Lily I haven't started it yet. It's laundry and cleaning day for me so I'll start it later today.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Lily Milo wrote: "Nice review. Although personally I don't have a problem with sex scenes being the main focus of a book. I guess I am a horndog that way, lol"

Thanks, Milo! It was a great book. Oh, and don't get the wrong impression, I also don't have a problem with sex scenes being the focus of a story. I've read tons of books like that. Just in this case there was so much more to the story that the hot sex scenes, while really good, weren't the main focus.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Geat review, Lily. I think this is on my list of some day some how books to read.

Erotic Horizon Once again Lil..

great review..

E.H>

Lily Thanks, Shawn and EH! :)

message 8: by JenMcJ (new) - added it

JenMcJ this has been in my TBR pile forever. I need to move it up but I get sidetracked by shorter (probably crappier) books.

Lily JenMcJ wrote: "this has been in my TBR pile forever. I need to move it up but I get sidetracked by shorter (probably crappier) books. "

Jen, this is a book that I think you would really enjoy. Move it up the list when you can!

message 10: by Nick (new)

Nick Wonderful review, Lily!

message 11: by Ava (new)

Ava Fabulous review, Lily!

message 12: by Lily (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lily Thanks, Nick and Ava! :)

Daisiemae Great review, Lily:) I liked this one, too!

message 14: by Lily (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lily Daisiemae wrote: "Great review, Lily:) I liked this one, too!"

Thanks, Shellie! :)

message 15: by Josh (new) - rated it 2 stars

Josh Sweet review, Lil!

message 16: by Lily (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lily Josh wrote: "Sweet review, Lil!"

Thanks, Josh! :)

message 17: by Shayne (new)

Shayne Fabulous review, Lil! Looks like this one might be a good book for Jack and I to read.

message 18: by Lily (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lily Shayne wrote: "Fabulous review, Lil! Looks like this one might be a good book for Jack and I to read."

Thanks, Shayne! :)
I also think you would both enjoy this one.

message 19: by Drew (new) - added it

Drew Terrific review, Lovely Lily!

Sidda Lee great review!

message 21: by Lily (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lily Thanks, Drew and Sidda Lee! :)

message 22: by [deleted user] (new)

Great review, Lily

message 23: by Lily (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lily Ashley wrote: "I keep reading that this book is awesome! I'll have to add it to the to be read pile for sure!
Great review, Lily"

Thanks, Ashley! :)

message 24: by [deleted user] (new)

message 25: by Lily (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lily Eyre wrote: "Great review! I'm never read anything by this author, but judging from your review I definitely should."

Thanks, Eyre! :)
This is her first published book and what a great start it is. There are also 3 short stories with D and Jack on her website that take place after the end of the book.

Daisiemae Eyre wrote: "Great review! I'm never read anything by this author, but judging from your review I definitely should."

Eyre you will really love this book.

Rossy Awesome review, Lily!
It's already loaded on my ereader, just need to start reading it.

message 28: by Lily (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lily Rossy wrote: "Awesome review, Lily!
It's already loaded on my ereader, just need to start reading it."

Thanks, Rossy! :)
I hope you like it as much as I did.

message 29: by [deleted user] (new)

Hiya, sweet flower.

message 30: by Lily (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lily Ivan wrote: "Hiya, sweet flower. "

Hi, Ivie! I hope you're feeling better. Have you started reading this book yet?

message 31: by [deleted user] (new)

Lily wrote: "Ivan wrote: "Hiya, sweet flower. "

Hi, Ivie! I hope you're feeling better. Have you started reading this book yet?"

A bit better. M is going to read it to me this weekend :)

message 32: by Lily (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lily Ivan wrote: "Lily wrote: "Ivan wrote: "Hiya, sweet flower. "

A bit better. M is going to read it to me this weekend :)

"

I'm glad to hear that. I hope you guys like it.