Robin Wiley's Reviews > Kushiel's Avatar

Kushiel's Avatar by Jacqueline Carey

Sep 23, 09

bookshelves: fantasy, love-it-more-than-puppies
Read in September, 2009

Wow! I REALLY loved this one! This one is definately the best of the three! Most adventure, most interesting places, coolest cities, best fight scene, most religions, worst bad guys...

Speaking of bad guys, I like vengeance killing. You know, when the bad guy(s) have really pissed you off, and you will not be satisfied until they are very dead - and a Disney-style-fall-from-a-great-height-death simply will not do. Like in Open Range after the bad guys kill the kid and shoot Kevin Costner's dog. You think, "Oh, these guys had better be dead at the end of this movie!" Then when he tells Sue that "alot of people are going to die today and I'm going be the one doing the killing" - your darker angels do a happy dance!

Kushiel's Avatar has that kind of bad guy (with minions). Think bad guy from Conan and bad guy from Temple of Doom have a baby and Vlad Dracula (the historical version) is the nanny. Creepy, Evil, Crazy. He and his minions seriously need killing, and my darker angels did a happy dance when our girl Phedre comes up with a plan. Hence, the title of the book. And that's in the first half of the book!

I love great places. Give me a city built sticking out of a mountain-side and I'm a happy girl. This book has something like Alexandria (with the Great Library and the Colosses, sigh!). There's a river journey with pyramids and temples, a forgotten city with a lost tribe (hmmm), a lake made from the tears of a goddess, with a hidden island, an ancient temple, and a golden ark with broken tablets in it. There's also a land filled with temples of perpetual flame.

Carrey's world is a re-imagined Europe. Terra D'Ange is France in high-middle ages. But there are Egyptian, African, Arab type people in the places on the map you would expect them to be. She travels to a city that is very Cairo-like. So, it's familiar, but not historical in any way. I like that because you can save your imagination some work on the superficial stuff in order to wrap your brain around the cool, new stuff she gives you.

I'm just worried that I can't move on to the next book, since it's not about Phedre.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Kushiel's Avatar.