Karschtl's Reviews > Orchid Beach

Orchid Beach by Stuart Woods

Oct 09, 09

bookshelves: darkish, part_of_series, read-in-2009
Read in September, 2009

When looking for some reading material for my new eReader, I came across this book. Since I already have another book from this series, I thought I should first read the first part (I hate reading book series not in the chronological order).

Stuart Woods doesn't bother with much foreplay, he throws you right into the action. Holly Barker leaves the army after she loses the trial against her boss who sexually harrassed her and takes on a job as a deputy police chief in a small town in Florida. And gets her first case the minute she arrives: Chief Marley has been shot and is in a coman, his best friend dead. Something is very wrong in this nice little town, and all arrows point to the exclusive and sealed off development for superrich but anonymous people. What makes her investigation even more complicated is that she knows there is a mole in her department, but she doesn't know who. Which means she must be extra careful and can trust no one except for her newly aquired pet: a doberman named Daisy who fetches beer from the fridge and is also quite good at scaring the shit out of other people.

It's a rather fast paced thriller with little 'redundant' bits. Almost every sentence either presents action or provides information for the investigation. Of course, the reader developes his/her own theories about the murderer and the mole. At least the latter is not the obvious choice.

I found it quite interesting that Holly lived in a trailer, I always thought you do that only if you cannot afford anything else. But obviously some ppl also do that out of choice, and live there quite happily. For me it would be way to small. Where should I put all my books??

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Orchid Beach.