Obscuranta Hideypants's Reviews > Street-Fighting Years: An Autobiography of the Sixties

Street-Fighting Years by Tariq Ali

Oct 03, 2007

did not like it
bookshelves: readanddisliked
Recommended for: those who live in the past

I have a lot of trouble with Tariq Ali, and I think this book embopdies the majority of it- take some misguided protest-politics, mix in a bit of cult of personality and reminiscences about the Good Old Days and here we are. As has become his habit, Ali glorifies an era which, ultimately collapsed into the decadence of the eighties- driven in large part by ex radicals who were just along for the ride.

Protest politics is a dead end, something which needs to be studied, not glorified, and certainly not repeated.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Street-Fighting Years.

Obscuranta Hideypants In re the protest politics? Largely, yes - without a solid principle to move forward, just gathering is not going to accomplish a lot in the long term. I think that it can serve to put people in touch with each other and bring a certain level of realization as to the not-alone-ness on certain things, but as a means to an end in itself it is not enough.

Right now, we do see a lot of protest (understatement, as this is being written during the Occupies), but where will it go without a solid leadership, guiding principles, and a break from the old entities such as the trade union bureaucracy, Democratic Party, etc?

message 2: by Sawan (new) - added it

Sawan Very odd criticism of the man. Have you read any of his LRB columns?