Books Ring Mah Bell's Reviews > The Red Tent

The Red Tent by Anita Diamant

Feb 10, 2010

it was ok
Read in February, 2010

My apologies to Anita Diamant. This book is good, in the sense that she takes an interesting concept (a bit of the bible) and expounds upon it. And, in all fairness, she wrote well. Alas, this was just NOT my cup of tea. No sir.

Here I'd like to throw in a disclaimer that I am not one who finds the Bible holy. If I were and then I read this book, I'm thinking I may have been offended. So, be warned if you think you are getting biblical fiction that is... unoffensive? All I can say about this is there's a whole lot of sheep humping and Jacob jerking off early on in the book. Then again, there's bestiality in the bible... so, whatever. Be warned.

Why didn't this book float my boat? For the same reasons it made me VERY VERY thankful I live in modern times.

1. The red tent - refers to a place the woman all go when ill, giving birth or menstruating. Dear GOD. I can think of nothing worse than having to spends DAYS in a tent with a bunch of ill, birthing and/or hormonal women. (Yes, I went there. That's one of my problems with women - those hormone surges can be MAD unpleasant.)

2. Birth - Thank heavens for medical care! Now, I have nothing at all against midwives, in fact, I think women who labor and give birth at home (as long as they are healthy enough to do so) are kick ass. Honestly, all the birth without epidurals and such... women are tough. That being said, I would have perished along with my son in the red tent. So, thank you medicine for epidurals, c-sections that a mom can survive, and for great neonatal care. Woot.

3. Call me old fashioned, a prude, whatever, but I dig this thing called monogamy. I enjoy not having to share my husband. I can't even fathom "sharing" him with my sisters (of course, I have no sisters, but still!!! NO FREAKING WAY!)

4. I also dig that I don't have to have "relations"* with family. I have no brothers, either, and while my cousins are all very nice people, I don't want to "know"* them like that. EVER.

5.uh.

*"relations" and "know" tweak me when describing sex. as does calling a penis or vagina his or her sex. I don't know why, but it does. They were used appropriately in this book, because some of the alternatives just wouldn't fit and honestly, are not much better.
20 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Red Tent.

message 1: by David (new)

David Call me old fashioned, a prude, whatever, but I dig this thing called monogamy. I enjoy not having to share my husband. I can't even fathom "sharing" him with my sisters (of course, I have no sisters, but still!!! NO FREAKING WAY!)

I just thank gawd you don't mind sharing him with your booknerd buddy from Indiana!

(Wait... you knew that Greg and I...? Uh oh.)

Monica I read a couple chapters and said WTF, not my cuppa, tossed it in the donation pile. Thanks for sticking it out and elaborating, I made the right decision.