Mishel Zabala's Reviews > The Tear Collector

The Tear Collector by Patrick Jones

Oct 07, 09

bookshelves: arc
Read in October, 2009

The premise of this story sounded so different and unique. A vampire that didn't need blood to survive, but rather lived off the tears of humans. I was pretty skeptical at first. I haven't read anything by Patrick Jones before, but could he really pull this off?

Cassandra was an interesting character but I had real trouble connecting with her. This "vampire" is up to her neck in school drama and family troubles. And while I can certainly relate to her actual problems, I found a lack of emotional depth to her. Her character was a little flat and I simply could not sympathize with her. She basically seeks out emotionally hurt people at school or work and comforts them. She collects their tears and gains strength from them. Then she has to turn around and go home to give those tears to her weak great-grandmother. After that, she's off to do it again. Of course I kind of felt bad for her situation, but I feel there was so much more to be had with her family life. Towards the end of the book the reader meets her cousin and finds out a surprising twist to the story that basically flops at the very end.

Her school life is filled with dramatic stereotypes that really just made me yawn. I didn't feel anything though. The fighting between Cassandra and the other popular girls were petty and while there is nothing wrong with that I just felt it didn't really go anywhere. And then there is Scott. The relationship between Scott and Cassandra was limited at best. Yes, they really liked each other but how I don't really know. Their conversations were limited and if I was basically tired of hearing Cassandra say "Well, what do you mean Scott?"

The story lacked in a lot of different departments which really disappointed me. I didn't go into the story with high expectations because I had never read anything by Patrick Jones. But throughout the entire book I just wanted more. More depth, more description, more real interaction with the characters. I don't think I'd even classify this as a vampire novel. Not that I'm an expert, but I do love me some vampires. Even without the blood, this story was more about family duty - not vampire lore.

All in all, I was disappointed I didn't enjoy the novel. I would like to say I will be giving Patrick Jones another chance because I've read blurbs of his other books and I'm interested in them. But THE TEAR COLLECTOR just wasn't my cup o' tea. Maybe it will be yours though, I have seen a few reviews where the reader absolutely loved the book. Yay for them! I'm glad they found something in it that I couldn't.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Tear Collector.

10/02/2009 page 156