Carly Thompson's Reviews > Leviathan

Leviathan by Scott Westerfeld

Mar 15, 10

bookshelves: ya, science-fiction, steampunk, 2010
Read from March 10 to 15, 2010

** spoiler alert ** I have wanted to read a steampunk novel and this was my first. I enjoyed the genre and will definitely read more. The story is set at the start of WWI when the Germans/Austro-Hungarian Clankers (steam driven machines) and the British Darwinists (who use genetically created animals as weapons) are preparing to go to war. The central characters are Alek, the son of the assassinated Archduke Ferdinand, who is on the run from the Germans who want to kill him, and Deryn, who disguises herself as a boy to join the British air service. The paths of the these two characters cross and the novel ends with them as friends and allies prepared to have more adventures. The book was more action orientated than books I normally read but it was easy to get lost in the world of the novel (the gorgeous illustrations of all the machines and characters really helped). The characters were interesting and well developed. I especially liked Deryn and her signature swear "Barking Spiders." This was a richly imagined world and I can see teen readers really loving it. I really like steampunk's theme of yesterday's future. Unfortunately the next book in the series won't be available until the fall of 2010.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Leviathan.