Tammy's Reviews > Firebird

Firebird by Mercedes Lackey

Jan 15, 11

bookshelves: i-own
Read from October 31, 2010 to January 14, 2011

Firebird introduces Ilya, the least favoured of Tzar Ivan’s sons. Upon first impression Ilya struck me as cheeky, arrogant, skirt-chasing idiot, an impression that lasted just as fervently all the way through.

Putting that aside, the plot in itself was purely nonsensical. As the story progresses, Ilya undertakes a supposedly reckless mission, involving the rescue of several very pretty “damsels in distress”, the gorgeous Tatiana, with whom he fell in love on first sight for the single virtue of her otherworldly beauty, among them.

On top of that, the book was unusually slow-paced, and much to my frustration, the author felt the need to elaborate on and analyze each of the character’s acts, words or feelings as if they weren’t laid bare in front of the reader’s eyes as it is.

Secondary characters were just as bad, their only redeeming virtue is the fact you don’t have to bear so much of them as of the main character.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Firebird.

11/01/2010 page 50
show 5 hidden updates…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Shel (new)

Shel Interesting. I haven't read this one, but I have to say I haven't been impressed with Lackey's fairytale retellings, so I guess this fits the pattern.

I do love her Valdemar books, though :)

Tammy I've read Black Swan, and really enjoyed it. Perhaps that's why I was so greatly disappointed by this one.
I must admit this really put me off reading Mercedes Lackey, which is unfortunate since I have two of her books waiting on my shelf.
Have you read By the Sword?