Chris's Reviews > Strange Brew

Strange Brew by P.N. Elrod

Sep 23, 09

liked it
bookshelves: vampires, werewolves-are-awesome, short-stories, fantasy-urban

Strange Brew is a nice mix of stories. Most, if not all, of the authors in the collection have novels that make use of the characters in the short fiction. I've read some of the books.

In this collection, I truly enjoyed "Bacon" by Charline Harris. It is set in her Sookie world, but does not feature Sookie. I found to be a good use of myth, and I loved the ending. It almost made me wish I was still reading Sookie, almost.

Jim Butcher's story, "Last Call" is also good, though I'm not entirely sure I like what happenes to Murph. I feel like I should be vaguely insulted, but some how can't get up the engery.

I haven't read Rachel Caine before and her short story, "Death Warmed Over", while somewhat predictable, makes me want to try her other work.

I skipped Chance's story because I didn't like the novel of hers I tried to read. Briggs and Hunter have okay stories. Predictable, but not bad. Just okay. "Dark Sins" by Jenna Maclaine I totally lost interest in when it was quickly revealed that Cin is a witch who is also a vampire. (I have to gag).

Elrod's short story actually doesn't feature a real magic weilding witch (or does it?), but was the best story in the collection.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Strange Brew.