Stephanie Griffin's Reviews > Traitors' Gate

Traitors' Gate by Kate Elliott

Sep 21, 09

Read in September, 2009

(I actually give this 3.75 stars.) TRAITORS' GATE, by Kate Elliott, is the third installment of a fantasy trilogy called CROSSROADS. It was preceded by SHADOW GATE and SPIRIT GATE.
The world of The Hundred is inhabited by merchants and such, but also by people called Reeves who are chosen by enormous eagles to help patrol the roadways and keep peace in general. There are Guardians, who fly on winged horses and are initially dead, but have been risen by a cloak to act as what we would call a judge for villages that they pass through.
The Qin arrive from the south as conquerors/protectors. They are called Outlanders by the people of The Hundred. Some of the Guardians turn evil and start to invade the land with armies, so the Qin band together with the Reeves to fight them off. Without giving too much away, two main couples are the romantic conflict of the plot.
The language of the Qin is a bit stilted, but it helps to portray them as stoic. Descriptions of land, buildings, and people are done well. Passages skip between the viewpoints of many of the plentiful characters.
I was slightly disappointed that there was not a grand finale; after the final battle, there was more of a calm get-on-with-life attitude. Nevertheless, I look forward to the next book set in the world of The Hundred.
You must read the first two books before this one or else you will be extremely confused. Overall, I would recommend this trilogy to fantasy fans.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Traitors' Gate.