Amelia's Reviews > Forever

Forever by Maggie Stiefvater

Originally posted on The Authoress: Book Review and More.

I heard from one of my blogger buddies that there are a lot of varied reviews of this book. (I wouldn't know, as I don't read reviews of books that I'm looking forward to reading—spoilers, you know.) I can see clearly why there would be a lot of variation, but I know that I'm settling into the side of "I-freaking-love-this-series-and-book-so-freaking-much".

I love it because it's written beautifully, the characters stay true to form—not conforming to what the public would want most to read—and the atmosphere is deepened with each chapter.

Maggie Stiefvater has a way with words. There's no other way to say it and no way to explain it so you're just gonna have to go pick up one of her books to see for yourself. She hasn't just written this werewolf series. She's also written a fae series, which is awesome if you're into that kind of thing.

I love characters that are challenged by their own inner demons. In most books I read, internal conflict is something simple and therefore easily resolved. I can always pick out that "resolution" scene where the character comes to terms with what's eating them up inside. Something that sums up to "It wasn't really my fault" etc. Maggie Stiefvater works her characters differently, making their transformation much more believable and easier to swallow. I think the personal battle I enjoyed the most—not exactly the right word, more like appreciated—was Sam's. I cheered for that kid all the way. Cole was also a favorite. But each of them did have something to deal with, and I liked that. Gave them each their own dimension.

I love the setting that Maggie Stiefvater has created. Mercy Falls carries this certain nuance in my head that I can easily identify and pull on when I'm reading.

I'm really sad now that this series is over. (I actually had to walk into my dad's room and lay down on the dog to feel better after I'd finished reading.) I only picked Shiver up last year, but I'm still sad to see it go.

Now us fans get to look forward to watching literary-challenged directors screw up the movie. XD

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Forever.

07/17/2011 page 75