Debby's Reviews > The Chimney Sweeper's Boy

The Chimney Sweeper's Boy by Barbara Vine

Apr 04, 11

Read from March 31 to April 03, 2011

Rarely does it happen that I complete a book and come to the conclusion that I didn't like the book. I've tried to come up with reasons to give it the 2-star "it was OK", but I just con't get there.
I was going along fine as the story was being set up. Imagine your father is a famous author who adores his daughters and appears to tolerate his wife. Suddenly he dies of a heart attack. His publisher asks one of the daughters to write a biography of her father. So far so good.
As she begins doing research for the book, all sorts of "problems" begin surfacing. It appears he's kept lots of "secrets".
It's as the secrets get revealed that I find myself wishing there had been a clur of some sort as to what direction the book would take because if I'd known it up front, I wouldn't have read it in the first place. After fnishing the book, I went back to read the FantasticFiction description of the book to see if I'd missed someethiing before I read the book. Nope! It just sounded like a good mystery about dysfunctional man and his wife.
This is the first book I've read by Barbara Vine. I liked hewriting style and will read something else by her. I just did not like the direction the book took or the ending of The Chmney Sweeper's Boy.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Chimney Sweeper's Boy.

Barbara I liked your review, Debby despite your dislike of this book. Vine/Rendell has (have) the most odious, quirky characters, which are often difficult to appreciate. I hope that you won't abandon this author because her writing is so skillful and sharp.

Debby Thanks Barbara! No, I won't abandon her books on the basis of this particular book. I must say, it was difficult to review the book, having given it 1 star, without making it a spoiler review.

I've got a few of Rendell/Vine books (like A Fatal Inversion and The Lake of Darkness, off the top of my head) on my TBR and I intend to get to one of them soon. Say, like getting right back up on a horse after being thrown off! :)

message 3: by Barbara (last edited Apr 05, 2011 03:33PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Barbara Well stated, Debby! You might add bicycle- after falling off, etc.!