Carol's Reviews > The House at the End of the Road: The Story of Three Generations of an Interracial Family in the American South

The House at the End of the Road by W. Ralph Eubanks

Sep 21, 09

bookshelves: 2009
Read in September, 2009

I borrowed this from Dad after reading a review and thinking it might make a good book group book. The story was interesting but it would be better suited to a serial in Vanity Fair or the New Yorker. It was redundant and after reading "the house at the end of the road" about 100 times in the first few chapters...I MIGHT be exaggerating a bit!...I was pretty bored with his family. With the events he was talking about so far in the past and few living people to remember, and no written history he had to do guite a bit of conjecturing. Maybe he is related to us!
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The House at the End of the Road.

message 1: by Lesley (new)

Lesley great review, Carol! He might be related to us? Oh, no, poor man!

Marygrace I had a hard time with this book. I enjoyed the beginning but the rest became a chore to read. Talk about redundant the "one drop rule" of blood came up over and over. I did like the part when his daughter Delaney interviewed the Grandma...none of her questions dealt with race. She wanted to know "what you did when you were little" The next generation has it right when it comes to race. This would have made a good novel if someone could fill in what their life was like.