Tom's Reviews > The iPhone Developer's Cookbook: Building Applications with the iPhone SDK

The iPhone Developer's Cookbook by Erica Sadun

Sep 24, 09

Read in September, 2009

Rating this book a 3 out of 5 might be a bit unfair. Reading this cookbook has convinced me that even the most Apple-y of features (cover flow) is an arduous thing to program for the iPhone. The book is chock full of good information, and will serve as a good reference book when I have issues with particular aspects of iPhone programming... but I could never tell throughout the book how much I actually understood about the SDK.

Even in the later chapters, the amount of new material/APIs/method calls/ways of interacting was astounding. Again, this could be due to the SDK, vs. the author's treatment of it. The prospect of writing an app is actually scarier now than when I started--just the introduction, with instructions on provisioning a phone for testing, was enough to make me second guess this.

And this is after reading Programming in Objective-C, a nearly 500 page book! At this point, I am eager to try my new knowledge out, if for no other reason than I don't want the information to seep back out of my head. One last thing... no where in the book does it say that the version I read was good through v2.2 of the SDK. I finished the book today and now need to find a primer on new stuff from v2.2 to v3.1. Good grief.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The iPhone Developer's Cookbook.

09/21/2009 page 139