Jonathan Cook's Reviews > Fantastic Mr. Fox

Fantastic Mr. Fox by Roald Dahl

Sep 21, 2009

bookshelves: ebooks
Read in September, 2009

I reckon most people are aware that Wes Anderson is making/has made a stop-motion film based on this short children's novel. As a long-time fan of both Roald Dahl and Wes Anderson, the book had been on my radar screen for a while, but it took a couple strips in Kochalka's American Elf to finally get me to take a look. Since it's such a short work, I decided to read it online (scribd.com).

That's not an ideal set-up, (especially since I was interrupted several times) but the story is charming, and while Quentin Blake's illustrations are probably more effective on the page than the screen, they're still pretty great on-screen.

This is as good a book by Dahl as I've read, in the same league as The Witches, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, and The BFG. Mr. Fox is a surprisingly compelling hero, as thinly sketched as he is (it's kind of a neat trick actually, the main reason we like Mr. Fox is because of how much he likes and is liked by Mrs. Fox and Badger), and the three farmers are memorable villains.

My Rating: Recommended
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fantastic Mr. Fox.