Kathryn's Reviews > Pinkalicious

Pinkalicious by Victoria Kann

Sep 21, 09

bookshelves: childrens-picture-books
Read in September, 2009

Okay, it IS better than "Goldilicious" in terms of a cohesive story, but I still was not charmed by this annoyingly pink-and-sparkly book with the cartoonish illustrations and ambiguous line on proper behavior. The little girl loves pink things, but can't stop eating the pink cupcakes even after her mother tells her not to. And then the girl turns pink. Instead of having remorse for her actions, she is thrilled that SHE is now pink! She eats even MORE of the forbidden cupcakes (stealing them from the top of the fridge!) and is only remorseful when she turns RED from over-consumption. Oh, horror! Let us not care about right/wrong or listening to our parents--instead let us only care about how we look. What a dismal message to send to our children!!!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Pinkalicious.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kathryn (last edited Sep 21, 2009 12:44PM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Kathryn I read this only because it (and the sequel) is a "best seller" and I wanted to see what the fuss was about. (The cover art alone would have made me avoid it otherwise.) Blek!

Kathryn Well, thankfully Izzy has a clever mommy who will handle the book with grace! :-)

message 3: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan Ugh. Thanks for screening, Kathryn.

Angie I liked this book actually. My little cousin who is three is in love with it and has it memorized!!

message 5: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan Angie wrote: "I liked this book actually. My little cousin who is three is in love with it and has it memorized!!"

That's cute. Fun when they can "read it" themselves.

Kathryn Angie wrote: "I liked this book actually. My little cousin who is three is in love with it and has it memorized!!"

Oh, that's great! I am always happy to know when children find a book that they really love :-)

Angie Yea she really loved it. She really was reading it with me because she had it memorized (she is 3 1/2). I thought it was amazing how animated she got. The book must relate well to young girls somehow.

message 8: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan Well, and that's who it's written for; they're definitely the target audience, so overall it's much more important whether they like it than if adults like it.

Kathryn Angie wrote: "Yea she really loved it. She really was reading it with me because she had it memorized (she is 3 1/2). I thought it was amazing how animated she got. The book must relate well to young girls somehow."

That's so cute! ;-)