Sarah's Reviews > The Amber Spyglass

642041
Sep 21, 09

bookshelves: young-adult, speculative-fiction, audiobook
Read in September, 2009

I finally got around to finishing the series, listening to the audio version (narrated by Pullman and voiced by a full cast) on a long drive this weekend.
I did like it, though at times it felt endless. Maybe it's just the audio format, but it felt like there was a LOT of talking. And talking and talking and talking. I can see why Pullman has gotten in trouble for the ideas put forth: unlike the knife, they are not subtle.

I was about to say that a lot of the action set up in the previous books seemed to come down to anti-climactic resolution, but as I think through the wrapping up of each thread individually, I couldn't say that any of them were undramatic. I think there were just so many things to resolve that the order of resolution was complicated (see also Return of the King). Everything felt true to the characters, though, and I'd be lying if I said that certain moments didn't bring me to tears. I'd probably give the series as a whole four stars, even though the individual books didn't necessarily blow me away.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Amber Spyglass.