Amanda's Reviews > Samedi the Deafness

Samedi the Deafness by Jesse Ball

Oct 23, 07

bookshelves: knock-your-socks-off
Read in October, 2007

Every review of this book calls it part-something, part-something-else: Kafka/Ian Fleming, Kafka/Hitchcock, Carroll/Lynch, thriller/romance. It's true that this novel is many things at once in many ways, but merely describing it in comparative combinations can't be accurate. I would say it's unarguably an original voice. Very weird (and thus hard for me to articulate my feelings about what I like about it), but very good and worth your while. If you pick it up, give it a minute, once you get used to the rhythm of the book it's not as strange. The plot plays with the balance between truth and lies, with memory and manipulation. Includes some gorgeous imagery. I love the name Grieve; especially Margret Grieve -- the first name looks sort of like Regret. I wish the very last page didn't exist though. I think it should have ended the page before that.

Sidenote: A friend at work told me that the book party was really bizarre. It was at a pool (I think that Hotel Q? or whatever it is that has a pool in the bar) and there were all these drunk people swimming around, and the author is super socially awkward and was just awkwardly sitting in a corner.

Second note: There's a scene were all the birds die, which echoed that pigeon dream I had (all the pigeons in New York suddenly dropped dead, trapping the city indoors because no one would clean up the carpet of dead pigeons).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Samedi the Deafness.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Saba I've begun reading this as well (Dave's recommendation). I'd race you, but you'll be done with this before I'm finished typing this sentence.

Andrew I loved the last page.

Issy Awsome dream.

message 4: by dave (last edited Oct 24, 2007 06:15PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

dave The love scene was brilliant, I must say.

Also, I wrote about this as my staff pick in the RH Library newsletter and said the same thing you did about how comparing it to a combination of individuals doesn't really work. Agree with you regarding the last page, but I definitely could've missed something.