Jennifer Wardrip's Reviews > The Last Song

Nov 29, 09

bookshelves: trt-posted-reviews, trt-gold-star-award-winner, jens-personal-read
Read in November, 2009

Reviewed by Jaglvr for TeensReadToo.com

Veronica "Ronnie" Miller won't be eighteen until the end of the summer, so she has to follow her mom's rules and is off with her younger brother, Jonah, to spend the summer with her dad in a North Carolina beach town. Ronnie hasn't talked to her dad in over three years. He left New York City and their family and moved back to his hometown. Ronnie is rebellious and having been arrested for shoplifting back home, a quiet summer in North Carolina might be the best thing for her. At least that's what her mother thinks.

Ronnie arrives with the intention of ignoring her dad. On her first night there she wanders the beach and meets a girl, Blaze, who seems okay. But Blaze is addicted to Marcus, and Marcus is bad news. And Marcus is interested in Ronnie. Ronnie can tell Marcus is trouble and tries to avoid him. But the triangle will ultimately create problems.

On a brighter note, Jonah is totally content in North Carolina and with spending time with his father. He has no desire to return to New York City. Jonah has joined his father in creating a replacement stained glass window for a church that burned in town.

As the summer unfolds, Ronnie falls in love with a local boy, Will. She discovers the wonders of Loggerhead turtles. And she learns to trust her father all over again. As the summer comes to a close, more than one tragedy occurs, and Ronnie must face some hard truths in her life.

I have to admit that it's been a while since I truly loved one of Mr. Sparks' novels. Don't get me wrong, I do adore his work. But it's been ages since I sat down with one of his books and found myself with tears in my eyes. This was one of those rare stories. With about forty pages to go in the novel, I found myself with wet eyes and the sniffles.

THE LAST SONG is already in movie post production starring Miley Cyrus as the rebellious Ronnie. With the main character being a teenager, and with subplots of rebellion and first love, THE LAST SONG is a novel that will appeal to a wide audience: teens and adults alike. With the addition of Miley in the title role when the movie is released, THE LAST SONG will find even wider circulation.

As with all of Mr. Sparks' books, expect tears, joy, love, and ultimately redemption and forgiveness for many of the characters. The wonderful characters in THE LAST SONG will stay with you long after the final page is turned.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Last Song.

message 1: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Gomez Escudero I wonder if you remember the bible verse that is mentioned in the book,

Thanks

Bianca Tejada I cant wait to buy the book it looks amazing especially since my favorite actress is starring on it, i think the movie is gonna be great. Miley Cyrus plays the character so well and being a rebel in the movie really brings out the emotions and on whats going to happen. Nice review i enjoyed it i also felt like i was reading the back cover of the Book.

Bobby great bianca. great.

Krysta Tupper I loved this book!!
Soo soo much!

Billi oliver i am 14 and just got suspended...i've never gotten in trouble before this and now i got all my electronics taken away. In my spare time my mom forced me to read. so i picked out this book, and i feel in love with it! i read it in 3 days! i was just curious if anyone knew if there was going to be a sequal? so if you will please write me back that would be so amazing! thank you and i hope you enjoyed your read