Meghan's Reviews > Sacred Contracts: Awakening Your Divine Potential

Sacred Contracts by Caroline Myss

662007
Oct 19, 09

Read in October, 2009

To be perfectly honest, I had a really hard time finishing this book. I think the concept of "contracts" with people in your life is interesting and has some validity to it (I do believe people are in your life for a reason); but having to understand these contracts through archetypes was a bit of a stretch for me.

I will say the appendix explaining archetypes was helpful and the examples of good versus shadow versions of each archetype were useful in driving home the definition of the archetype. But again, I had trouble grasping how these archetypes related to your contracts with others.

Myss did her best to not alienate the reader but there were times when I was envisioning her as a sort of new-agey quack, especially when she wrote about interviewing your archetypes (basically talking to yourself). I try to keep an open mind when reading material outside of my comfort zone, but this was a stretch, even for me.

I believe Myss would have been more successful with her message had she broken up her ideas into two books: one dicussing your "contracts" with others, and second, discussing how archetypes are present in and affect your life. Both ideas are interesting and have a lot of potential on their own, but mashing them together in one book fell flat.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sacred Contracts.