Nicole's Reviews > The Storm in the Barn

The Storm in the Barn by Matt Phelan

Sep 21, 09

bookshelves: historical-fiction, graphic-novel-comics, fantasy-no-dragon-such
Recommended for: middle schoolas'
Read in September, 2009

Creepy. Wonderfully creepy. I had to read it through twice in order to fully grasp the multiple layers of story-plot-character twistiness. The author's note at the end helped clear my foggy head and allowed me to appreciate the full brilliance of the book with my second reading.

Granted, the characters were of the stock variety but I sure did love that rain man...guy...creature...god...whatever he was. The art was a bit too sweet for my tastes (chubby cheecks and dot eyes) but well executed. Often, Phelan set the characters to the side of his frames which helped break up the monotony of the frames. The close-up frames of Ernie were especially well done, I thought.

I enjoyed the Kansas Dust Bowl setting but thought the Dorothy/Oz parallel was a bit over the top. Accurate and probably realistic, but over the top all the same. The overall story was depressing and little scary, but I felt at peace when I closed the book- perhaps due to the happy ending and the sweet, chubby-cheecked illustrations.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Storm in the Barn.