Daniel (Attack of the Books!) Burton's Reviews > The Stormcaller

The Stormcaller by Tom Lloyd

Oct 06, 2009

bookshelves: fantasy
Read in September, 2009

I was completely surprised by this book. Recommended by the guys over at http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/, it sat on my bed stand for over a month before I finally got into it, and then I couldn't put it down.

Lloyd writes unlike so many other sci-fi or fantasy writers. Instead of massive info dumps filling us in on the background of the world they've created, Lloyd just hitches us to the characters like a reality cam and takes the reader along for the ride. We start to see the world, its mythology, lore, politics, and personalities first hand, in a patchwork fashion. Only occasionally does a character fill in blanks, and when it happens, it is never full or thorough, but smacks of the reality that this is how people talk, giving some information, never in encyclopedic manner, but just enough to make conversation work.

Piled into this is a colorful network of loosely connected characters, countries, creatures, and gods. Instead of the stereotypical swords and sorcery, Lloyd turns types on their head, makes his own types, and recreates old ones. All through-out, however, is the classic hero motif and the accompanying companions and wise old mentor.

It's a fun ride, and while I don't know that it will find itself in the upper echelons of fantasy fiction, it isn't due to any failure on the part of the writer. I think Lloyd is definitely showing himself to be a creative and talented pen with a future in front of him.
2 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Stormcaller.

09/20/2009 page 60