Heather's Reviews > Nir! Clever Critters: Level 1: Advanced

Sep 20, 2009

bookshelves: beginning-readers, school-books-kid-books
Read in September, 2009

General review for the Now I'm Reading Level 1 series -

Perhaps my very favorite phonics book, I mean books. There are 10 books here, each with a different vowel (or 2 books with one vowel sound). I love how the books build on earlier words - A cat. A tan cat. A tan cat sat. and so on and so forth. My new reader has gained a lot of confidence and speed through these books.

The pictures are hilarious (and in color) and we spend a lot of time laughing about them. He also loves to put a sticker on the front when he's read a book. The stories are a bit silly, but there's not much you can do when you're reading simple words. We've tried several, many, lots of different phonics books and thus far, these are the winners. I also love how they are stored in the plastic sleeves, all neatly tucked into a small book. No hunting all over for them and they stay nice and neat, not bent pages.

I have all 3 Level 1 books. We use them all, although the last book deals with consonant blends which he's still not totally fluent in. I'm not sure if we'll use the Level 2 books or if he'll be ready to tackle "regular" books by them. We'll see soon enough!

Highly, highly recommended.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Nir! Clever Critters.

05/19 marked as: read