Heather's Reviews > Nir! Clever Critters: Level 1: Advanced

Sep 20, 09

bookshelves: beginning-readers, school-books-kid-books
Read in September, 2009

General review for the Now I'm Reading Level 1 series -

Perhaps my very favorite phonics book, I mean books. There are 10 books here, each with a different vowel (or 2 books with one vowel sound). I love how the books build on earlier words - A cat. A tan cat. A tan cat sat. and so on and so forth. My new reader has gained a lot of confidence and speed through these books.

The pictures are hilarious (and in color) and we spend a lot of time laughing about them. He also loves to put a sticker on the front when he's read a book. The stories are a bit silly, but there's not much you can do when you're reading simple words. We've tried several, many, lots of different phonics books and thus far, these are the winners. I also love how they are stored in the plastic sleeves, all neatly tucked into a small book. No hunting all over for them and they stay nice and neat, not bent pages.

I have all 3 Level 1 books. We use them all, although the last book deals with consonant blends which he's still not totally fluent in. I'm not sure if we'll use the Level 2 books or if he'll be ready to tackle "regular" books by them. We'll see soon enough!

Highly, highly recommended.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Nir! Clever Critters.