Suzanne's Reviews > Prospect Park West

Prospect Park West by Amy Sohn

Sep 23, 09

bookshelves: adult-fiction, chick-lit
Read in September, 2009

I thought this book would be a trashy, fun read. I was very wrong. I don't even know how to write a review for it so here are the three big things I have to say about Prospect Park West:

1) There is A LOT of sexy business in this book. But this isn't like romance novel sex. This is like "Did I just read that right?" sex. I was telling my husband about some of the things in this book and he actually made me stop talking.

2) Sohn seems to highly sexualize breast feeding in this book. As someone breastfed, I can say there was nothing sexy about it. Overall, I was not comfortable with the way breastfeeding was portrayed. It pretty much made breastfeeding moms look like crazy, lonely deviants (not crazy lonely but crazy AND lonely).

3) And speaking of crazy, these women are CRAZY. Like CRAZY CRAZY. Not fun crazy but CRAAAAAAAZY. Usually there's one wacky girl in chick lit, but this book has 4. And I don't like any of them! Yes, 4 main characters and all of the completely dispecable.

Pass this one right over. Your brain will hurt and you'll be mad you wasted the time.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Prospect Park West.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lorie (new)

Lorie This book sounds so bad that I kind of want to read it now...just to see if I hate it as much as you do.

Suzanne You totally should. Then we can bitch about it together. You don't mind books that talk about anal beads do you?

message 3: by Lorie (new)

Lorie Wow...that might be too much, even for me.

Suzanne Why do you think it got one star?

message 5: by David (new)

David Since I'll be dogsitting in Park Slope all week I thought I would read this as like a "When in Rome" type of thing. Couldn't get past the 3rd woman. Thought I was being overly judgemental but your review just sealed it for me. it's a shame bc I thought it was going to have a "Best of Everything" type of trashiness. this is not even good enough to be called trash.