Emma's Reviews > The High Lord

2042643
Oct 02, 09

bookshelves: sci-fi-fantasy
Read in October, 2009

** spoiler alert ** This book was the best by far.

After reading Karen Miller Godspeaker Trilogy I felt these books did not have as much depth, they were a much lighter read, I would say more for those of a younger generation, especially since they can also be found in the teenage section.

However I felt this book was able to succeed where the others had not. The story was more emotional, and I have to admit I was distraught when Akkarin died. Granted I hated him in the first two books and until this third book I thought he was evil. For this I have to say that Trudi Canavan is amazing. I had no idea the books would end with Akkarin being the Guild's salvation.

I liked the fact that the story was in different points of view throughout, but of all points of view I preferred Rothen and Sonea's because I felt more of a connection and fondness towards these two characters compared to those of Ceryni and Dannyl. I also felt on occasions, especially with Dannyl's sections they tended to drag.

But back to the positives! Dare I say, I preferred these books more so than Harry Potter?!?! Alas it is true. For some reason, the character of Sonea was more believeable and likeable, and not only that I preferred the premise, that the non-magicians knew about the magicians and they were accepted, in some way, rather than it all being hidden from view. In addition, I was thankful that Sonea developed her powers and did ultimately help to save the Guild and country of Kyralia and then was accepted after the Sachakan Ichani were defeated.

All in all I felt this was a very well written book and had elements that I look for in a book - a journey, fantasy, love, loss and good vs evil. Not only that but the main characters from the first book continued to grow in strength and predominance, especially when considering Ceryni - who knew he would have a hand in the downfall of the Ichani and that thieves would unite with the magicians. Brilliant!

However I still can't get over the fact that Akkarin had to die, but I suppose a slight consolation is the fact that Akkarins name and memory will live on not just through the Guild but through Sonea.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The High Lord.