Madeline's Reviews > Swimming in the Monsoon Sea

Swimming in the Monsoon Sea by Shyam Selvadurai

Sep 20, 2009

liked it
bookshelves: 2009, 50-poc-in-2009, library-books, coming-of-age, family, queer, ya, books-about-books, historical-fiction, indian-subcontinent, novels
Read in October, 2009 , read count: 1

Okay, here is the thing: Swimming in the Monsoon Sea is probably a very good look into the mind of a teenager with a Tragic Past on the verge of a nervous breakdown. Um, I mean, a sexual awakening, whatever - but that doesn't always make it very interesting. I'm not far off from teenagehood myself, and now I'm wondering what prevented me from killing all the boys I was growing up with.

I'm not totally clear on the rules of YA, so although I know this fits, I'm not sure if it is "good YA" or just YA, you know? It seemed heavy handed (especially with the symbolism and the allegory, seriously!). Actually, it seemed pretty heavy in general, and I don't mean deep or complicated! I mean like a heavy weight. But I do want to check out Selvadurai's other books, especially Cinnamon Gardens: A Novel.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Swimming in the Monsoon Sea.

10/09/2009 page 32
10/10/2009 page 214
76.43% "Just when I'd forgotten how much teenage boys suck!"
show 1 hidden update…