Celeste's Reviews > The Extra Mile: One Woman's Personal Journey to Ultra-Running Greatness

The Extra Mile by Pam Reed

Oct 05, 09

bookshelves: 2009, running-related
Read in October, 2009

I've been on a kick of reading running memoirs this year. I saw this book while searching around and really wanted to read it when I saw that it was a woman's story.

And Reed blew me away with her accomplishments, and she really lets the reader know about about them. And then reminds the reader again. And again. Her writing had voice, which so many memiors have a hard time with, but as I read, I found that I just didn't like her very much. At times, her tone was one of bragging. And, don't get me wrong, she's done things worth bragging about but it's off-putting just the same.

I was also put off with the Dean Karnazes stuff. I didn't know this before reading the book, but apparently there was some media-blown rivalry between the two of them, and Reed spends a fair bit of time discussing it. In fact, she spent so much time talking about what she declared was a non-issue that I rapidly felt that she was trying to convince herself as much as the reader of this. And if she's going up against Dean Karnazes based on personality, then she's going to get blown out of the water. He's one of the nicest people running trails today.

Reed hasn't written any other books, so I don't have to worry about whether I want to read anything else written by her, but in honor of the lack of rivalry, I'm going to read another one of Karnazes's books!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Extra Mile.