Jeane's Reviews > Silver Wedding

Sep 20, 2009

liked it
bookshelves: ireland
Read from March 16 to 26, 2011

Since I came to Ireland I read several Maeve Binchy stories and though they all have the same style, the same kind of stories... I always enjoyed reading them.
Silver weeding must be the one I enjoyed least for the moment.
It has been written typical Maeve Binchy way, but there wasn't enough story style in it. Maybe the story was jsut a bit too short and adding another 50-100 pages linking the several chapters a little bit more, miht have helped.
The several chapters describe a character each and tell the story. Typical Binchy this way but this time it didn't make a complete stoy well enough.
The main characters are brought together for the silver wedding of their parents or friends Desmond and Deirdre. Originally they are from Ireland, Deirdre from Dublin and Desmond from West Ireland. Two different worlds. They fall in love during summer in London when they are young and never leave. The sun lives in Ireland, their youngest daughter is a nun and the oldest daughter has a blooming career.
From the outside their family looks like any other well doing family but most is about proving or having others think that they are a well doing family without problems. From the inside the story is different.... and teh silver wedding is bringing everybody back to one place.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Silver Wedding.

03/22/2011 page 4