Maya Panika's Reviews > Makers

Makers by Cory Doctorow

Sep 20, 2009

it was ok
Read in September, 2009

I tried very hard to like this book. I loved the pretext and I really wanted to like it, but it’s so hard going, nothing much seems to happen and it’s much, much too long.

Focussing on a very near, wholly believable future, the story kicks off brilliantly, the characters start out interesting but then - nothing. The characters quickly merge and become indistinguishable, so that you have to work rather too hard to keep up with who’s doing what, where and why. What story there is is so heavily padded with inconsequential detail and irrelevant sub plots that it quickly becomes very confusing.

The technology rules, as you’d expect in a story from Cory Doctorow; I get the feeling that the technology is far more interesting to him than his characters – at times they feel like ‘carriers’ for all the ‘fun stuff’ Cory really wants to write about.

Which is not to say it's a bad book, there are some great ideas, some gripping sections; the chapters set in the shanty towns that have sprung up in Florida’s ruined condos and abandoned gated communities were a highlight, but these are small islands of interest in a vast ocean of seemingly endless lawsuits and technological detail and not nearly enough character development or plot to truly engage my interest.

In short, the ideas are great but they need a stronger story and better characters to hang them on. It would benefit hugely from a really good edit.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Makers.

08/28/2016 marked as: read