S.'s Reviews > The Diary of a Country Priest

Jun 19, 2010

did not like it
bookshelves: gave-up, read-in-2010, buyer-s-remorse
Read in June, 2010

I thought this was one of those books that comes with a “guarantee.” But of course no book comes with a blanket guarantee. Still, I’d read only glowing reviews and boy was I ready for a “triumphant experience.” But on p. 26 I couldn’t make heads or tails of what I was really reading about. On p. 54 the voice of the innocent and well-meaning young priest began to irk the shit out of me. On p. 55 I skipped ahead to see if anything would ever actually happen to dilute all the fluffy introspection and it didn’t look promising. On p. 64 I took the kitty to the well and drowned it.

Ach! If only I lived near a (English) library I’d run so much less risk of wasting money on books. The back cover says $15.95! I checked my order though, and thanks to Amazon, I paid “just” $11.48 for “The Diary of a Country Priest,” so I feel a few dollars better already. Plus I ordered it along with “The Shadow of Sirius” and “Blood Meridian,” both of which paid off. “Sirius” cost $10.88 but was really worth about $17.89, and “Blood Meridian” cost $10.20 but was easily worth $13.86. So actually I only lost 81 cents in this deal, making it easier to swallow.

I’m returning to this century now. Nice to see you.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Diary of a Country Priest.

06/19/2010 page 64
21.0% "I'm one step away from drowning this kitty." 1 comment

Comments <span class="smallText"> (showing 1-7 of 7) </span> <span class="smallText">(7 new)</span>

message 1: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Allender I have a very,very old copy of this book. It's in a spare bedroom. I planned to read it in December(around Christmas-time), but I may aim to read it sooner. Really cool that you have it! ;)

message 2: by Tom (new) - added it

Tom Ah, I remember coming across a different edition of this book a while back and regretted not buying it then. Thanks for the reminder.

Stephan I had trouble with this one...although I had expected much more. Good luck.

message 4: by S. (new) - rated it 1 star

S. So far (p. 26?) I'm none too excited. I'm giving it the benefit of the doubt, though, for now.

message 5: by Steve (last edited Jun 17, 2010 12:20AM) (new)

Steve I was wondering what you would think of it. I was pretty underwhelmed when I read it. If interested, check out A Memory for Wonders. For this sort of thing, I found it a much better book.

message 6: by S. (new) - rated it 1 star

S. I've read so many raves about it. My husband has read it and liked it, too. I don't know. I'm giving it a shot. (and trying not to pick up something else ...)

message 7: by Paul (last edited Jul 08, 2010 02:49AM) (new)

Paul Bryant Just a point about cost - Amazon UK sell 2nd hand copies of this for 80 pence to which you add £2.75 = $5.40. You can find practically anything on Amazon for next to nothing.