Caroline 's Reviews > Emiko Superstar

Emiko Superstar by Mariko Tamaki

Sep 19, 09

bookshelves: comics
Read in September, 2009

I picked this up a while ago but forgot I had it. This was one of the last comics from DC's late, lamented Minx line of manga-sized comics aimed with teenage female protagonists(I don't want to call them books 'for' or even 'aimed at' girls because anyone can enjoy them).

This story about Emiko, a biracial Canadian teenager, and self-professed geek who decides to reinvent herself as a performance artist. Mariko Tamaki has written an emotionally complex story bursting with very specific details, and Steve Rolston's art really brings this home; his work is more cartoonish and comic strip-like than readers of either American comics or manga may be used to, but a closer look shows how much detail he packs into each scene, and how much personality he gives each character.

I really enjoyed reading this and, though there are some story elements that felt a little familiar (a plot device with a diary is a bit clunky and sitcommish), the emotional weight and the voice of the characters really sticks with you.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Emiko Superstar.

message 1: by Jennifer (new) - added it

Jennifer I may have to borrow this from you next time I see you -- I really want to read more of the Minx books, but for some reason they're really hard to find around here, which is a shame.