Daniel's Reviews > Dinoverse

Dinoverse by Scott Ciencin

Sep 19, 2009

bookshelves: childrens-books, scifi-fantasy, young-adult
Read in September, 2009

It's sad that there aren't more reviews for this book, because this is really a great book!

I will admit that this has been on my bookshelf for the last decade, and I was never really looking forward to it -- something about the title, and the cover, and the description seemed just a bit less that exciting. But once you crack it open and read a chapter or two, it's totally enthralling.

This book is geared toward the middle school reader. It's four main characters are junior high students [two boys, two girls:] who are transported back in time through a miraculous accident by a machine made by the brainy student of the bunch -- but there's a twist to this time-travel tale ... the students are in the bodies of dinosaurs!

Being written for the student, there are some lessons to be learned, but Ciencin does a fantastic job of weaving the lessons nicely into the plot.

Ciencin is a wonderful writer for youth. I bought this book based on how much I enjoyed his books in the "Dinotopia" series.

When I finished the book, I handed it to my 12 year old son who might be labeled a 'reluctant reader.' He read it through and absolutely loved it. He said that it was "Fantastic!" and that he learned a lot, too! He said, the only bad thing is..."He didn't write a sequel! How can anybody who writes this good NOT write a sequel to it!" He's so upset about there not being a sequel that he's decided to read it again.

Highly recommended!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dinoverse.