Lisa Vegan's Reviews > The Seeing Stick

The Seeing Stick by Jane Yolen

Jun 06, 2011

bookshelves: childrens, fiction, picture-books, fairy-folktales, reviewed
Recommended to Lisa by: Abigail A.
Recommended for: readers who enjoy original fairy tales, particularly those interested in blindness
Read on June 06, 2011

Gorgeous illustrations and there is a perfect juncture where the pictures in gray tones end and colors blossom.

This is the story about a blind princess in Peking, China, who is taught to see by an old blind man who carves on his walking stick what his fingers have felt. She learns to see with her fingers. It’s a fine original fairy tale that has commonalities with traditional fairy tales, such as a Princess’s father, a king offering riches to those who can help the princess, his daughter, in some way. The love between many of the characters in this story does shine through. Very sweet!

I was emotionally moved and thought the story did a good job of describing how a blind person can see with the sense of touch.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Seeing Stick.

Lisa Vegan Abigail wrote: "Oh, I'm so glad you enjoyed this one, Lisa! And yes, the artwork here really is beautiful, isn't it?"

I did, and oh, yes, it was wonderful, and I also liked the story better than I thought I would.