Adrienne's Reviews > The Shadow of the Wind

The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafón

Jan 22, 11

bookshelves: summer-reading, fiction, own, nightstand-recommended, favorites, books-about-books
Read from July 05 to August 07, 2010

My feelings towards this book could be equated to a school girl crush -- blushing, eyelashes fluttering, grinning stupidly as I'm forced to close the book and attend to some other task requiring my attention.

One of my favourite quotes: "...a book is a mirror that offers us only what we already carry inside us, that when we read, we do it with all our heart and mind"

Zafon conjures up amazing images - the one in the scene of the nun walking away from Daniel and Fermin where he describes her wearing her shadow like a veil is one that I will forever carry - but the lyrical quality and those almost soap opera pauses that he begins and ends the early chapters with slack off toward the end. I missed them so much. But that is when the story rockets off. So perhaps, just maybe, the pace is justified as revelations, one after another, are made.

One of my critiques would be that the biggest secrets in the book which I will refrain from spoiling - but you know which I mean, right? - is used very little as a plot device. I almost forgot about it totally until it was barely mentioned in one line at the end.

My other would be that at times I forgot who my narrator was. Daniel became so closely linked with Julian that I had to literally pull myself out of the past and back into Sempere and Son's bookshop and world.

Those are the reasons for not giving it a full 5 stars. But it deserves a rousing round of applause for every one of four stars. Beautiful story!
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Shadow of the Wind.

Quotes Adrienne Liked

Carlos Ruiz Zafón
“Every book, every volume you see here, has a soul. The soul of the person who wrote it and of those who read it and lived and dreamed with it. Every time a book changes hands, every time someone runs his eyes down its pages, its spirit grows and strengthens.”

Carlos Ruiz Zafón
“Books are mirrors: you only see in them what you already have inside you.”

Carlos Ruiz Zafón
“Bea says that the art of reading is slowly dying, that it's an intimate ritual, that a book is a mirror that offers us only what we already carry inside us, that when we read, we do it with all our heart and mind, and great readers are becoming more scarce by the day.”

Carlos Ruiz Zafón
“Memories are worse than bullets.”

Carlos Ruiz Zafón
“Never trust anyone, Daniel, especially the people you admire. Those are the ones who will make you suffer the worst blows.”

Carlos Ruiz Zafón
“A story is a letter that the author writes to himself, to tell himself things that he would be unable to discover otherwise.”

Carlos Ruiz Zafón
“There's no such thing as dead languages, only dormant minds.”

Carlos Ruiz Zafón
“Presents are made for the pleasure of who gives them, not the merits of who receives them.”

Carlos Ruiz Zafón
“The nurse knew that those who really love, love in silence, with deeds and not with words.”

Carlos Ruiz Zafón
“That day was turning out to be longer than The Brothers Karamazov.

07/24/2010 page 6
show 3 hidden updates…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Faiza Kanji let me know what you think. i couldn't finish this one.

Adrienne will do! i picked it up with Echo in the Bone by Diana Gabaldon though, so I have 700 pages of Jamie and Clare to get through first. hehe

message 3: by AJ (new) - rated it 4 stars

AJ I loved this book! Excited to see your opinion.

Adrienne I used my last coupon for Chapters to buy this one last night! hehe

message 5: by AJ (new) - rated it 4 stars

AJ I liked your review more! Glad you enjoyed it.