Lynne's Reviews > Running with Scissors

Running with Scissors by Augusten Burroughs

Sep 19, 2009

bookshelves: enjoyed, i-own-it
Read in September, 2009

When I picked this up at a book sale I had no idea what it was about; I just remember hearing the title from a few years back. This was such a strange book but for some reason it just sucked me in. I worked in the Department of Psychiatry for 15 years at the medical school here, and I suppose that's the reason I'm intrigued by mental illness. Augusten Burroughs' parents were incredibly dysfunctional and I don't know how he was not removed from his home earlier than he was. This book is along the lines of A Boy Called It, which I loved. You definitely have to be able to handle depressing, rip-your-heart-out stories to read these. I can handle them because of my work background, but it doesn't make them any less sad. Fascinating, fascinating book, and someone here on Goodreads told me about his other books which are just as good, if not better. I will be reading those as well.

Be forewarned, there are some disturbing sexual scenes in this book, as the author was molested by his new "brother." Burroughs was "given" to his mother's psychiatrist who was, along with his entire family, as mentally disturbed as she was. Unbelievable.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Running with Scissors.

message 1: by Jennifer (new) - added it

Jennifer Eklund I have this sitting on my TBR shelf (OK, I'll be honest, "shelves". Goodreads has caused my book collection to grow exponentially). I may have to read a couple of light reads before I tackle this based on your review.

Lynne Jennifer wrote: "I have this sitting on my TBR shelf (OK, I'll be honest, "shelves". Goodreads has caused my book collection to grow exponentially). I may have to read a couple of light reads before I tackle this..."

I know, mine too.

Good idea to wait til you're in the mood for this one. But it really was good. And even funny - in a weird kind of way - at certain points.