Bob's Reviews > Brother Odd

Brother Odd by Dean Koontz

Sep 19, 09

Read in September, 2009

Brother Odd begins well, the unusual setting contributing effectively to the mood as the hero, Odd Thomas, sits in the window of a dark monastery, watching the night, waiting to catch his first sight of snow. And Mr. Koontz doesn’t disappoint the reader by allowing the Odd one to linger in peace for too long, robbing the story of conflict. As it should, the trouble starts right away.

For me, however, as the book eased into the middle, the story became somewhat diluted, not enough for me to lose interest, but enough for me to wonder if Koontz had not lost his rhythm for a moment. He began to delve into the humor side of his writing style, something he typically does with a near genius touch, but here he tips the balance too far. I began to suspect he wasn’t sure where he was going with the story at this point.

Near the ending, the story again begins to build up steam, but the final action scene is rendered somewhat ineffective when the writer decides to do things a little differently. Throughout the book a mysterious character keeps both the reader and the hero on edge, wondering just what his true nature is. During the climactic scene, however, this character takes charge, overshadowing the hero. I’m surprised the editors did not catch this. Whether the day is saved, ruined or rendered indifferent, it should be the hero who effects this change.

For me, after the climactic scene, my interest was revived as we are once again solidly with Odd Thomas as the story segues nicely into the next Odd adventure.

– Bob Avey, author of Beneath a Buried House
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Brother Odd.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Bcoghill Coghill Thank you, Bob, for a meaningful review of Koontz's book.
Seems odd to put 's after Koontz. Perhaps it should just be a ', as in Koontz'.
I will have to check with one of the English majors in my house.

message 2: by Bob (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bob Thanks, Bcoghill. A little late with the reply, but I haven't been to the site in awhile.