carrietracy's Reviews > The Morning Gift

The Morning Gift by Eva Ibbotson

Sep 20, 09

bookshelves: historical-light-reading, wwii
Read in September, 2009

I feel compelled to review this mainly because the reviews towards the top at this point are so negative in tone, with some of the concern focusing around the readability of Ibbotson's writing. I do not find her writing overly flowery, rather in the books I have read I feel transported to another world, particularly when she is writing of Vienna. As for accusations that there are too many confusing references to academic things, well, yes, if you don't know who Freud is, or Beethoven or Mozart, or Hitler are, it is going to be a bit confusing, but then again, I'd suppose that not knowing major historical figures would make much of your life confusing.

Read it if you like love stories, enjoy feeling transported to another time and place and aren't afraid of major composers, historical figures or dinosaurs.

The reason for the 3 star rather than 4 star rating from me was due to a flaw that another reviewer pointed out where things could have been more easily resolved if people ever TALKED to each other. But despite that, it was quite enjoyable, enough so that I felt driven to defend it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Morning Gift.