Sara 's Reviews > Ice Land

Ice Land by Betsy Tobin

Sep 19, 2009

bookshelves: fantasy, historical-fantasy, romantic-fantasy, scandinavian-influence, favorites
Read in October, 2009

I gave this 5 stars because it is EXACTLY the sort of book I like. As soon as it came out, I was prepared to buy it, and I rarely buy books anymore.

Ice Land takes place in Iceland, one of several countries I have never visited but am obsessed with and intend to visit ASAP. It's 1000 A.D., the year when Iceland officially converted to Christianity. Some of the old Norse gods are beginning to get unsettled, worrying about the possibility of their world falling into ruin (Ragnarok). A large volcano is beginning to show signs of impending danger. Meanwhile, the Icelandic people deal with the same hopes and troubles as always.

The story is narrated in the present tense (this was the only part that kind of threw me off--it's very unusual, and intended to evoke an epic mood). The speaker is the Norse love goddess Freya, who is going to try to influence the future by going on a quest to get a legendary necklace from the dwarves.

**Here, I think it's essential to mention that although it doesn't happen in the book, Freya drives a CAT-DRAWN CHARIOT. Too awesome!!!**

Freya's quest leads her to a lot of unexpected people and situations, and some uncomfortable decisions. Her story eventually becomes enmeshed with another plotline, a Romeo-and-Juliet scenario in which a young woman named Fulla is torn between her duty to her grandfather (who wants her to marry well) and her love for a man from a rival family.

There's adventure, romance, and beautiful descriptions of Iceland including GEOLOGY. I love geology, especially when it's so dramatic!

I already like romantic historical fantasies and this one had all the extras that I would like, so since it was right up my alley, I liked it a lot.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ice Land.

message 1: by Lisasue (new)

Lisasue A cat-drawn chariot! Awesomeness!