booklady's Reviews > Story of a Soul: The Autobiography of St. Therese of Lisieux

Story of a Soul by Thérèse de Lisieux

Sep 14, 11

bookshelves: autobiography, religion, hagiography, 1990s, all-ages, youth, 2002, 2005, 2008, 2010, children, church-documents, classic, family, non-fiction, spiritual, theology, worth-reading-over-and-over, must-have
Recommended to booklady by: Sacred Heart sisters
Recommended for: my daughters
Read from November 29, 2009 to February 26, 2010

I can't remember the first time I read this but I think it was in high school. Dear St. Thérèse was my Confirmation saint so I wanted to read her autobiography. I remember being blown away by her simple and yet powerful approach to sanctity. It IS the Gospel -- so gentle, humble, meek and Christian -- and not even difficult in a way except that I kept forgetting to live it!

Then as I got older, I confess I sort of forgot about this book and my patron saint. I even came to think that she was too 'young' for me. She died in her mid-twenties so what could she have known or written which could be of help to a wife and mother, someone living the active life out in our modern world? Everything. I reread her book a few years ago and it spoke to my heart a million times more than it did when I was younger.

Here are some of my observations from my 2010 reading: I have so much to learn from her! In many ways I envy her that quiet, solitary life behind the walls of Carmel. So much crowds in on my life and seems to stand between me and simplicity, between me and the love of God. Then I read some more and know that all the 'things' don't matter, whether they be physical, emotional or mental. It is only a matter of a willing heart. Is this heart open to Him? Am I willing to give it all away in a second and run to Him when He calls? Am I following Him now ... or trying to anyway? Little Flower, please continue to be my guide! Dear gentle mentor saint, help this sinner follow Him Whom we both love.

><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><

Special note: My oldest daughter, Meg, was born on St. Thérèse's feast day, October 1st! That has always felt like such a special gift to me from her! A further 'rose' from her was the gift of my present job, as Director of Religious Education at my parish. Coincidentally (and of course there are no coincidents with God!) my first day on the job was her feast day as well ... the 1st of October, 2009. Thank you again dear St. Thérèse!

Just found out one of the dates/times I actually read this, so I'm recording it now.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Story of a Soul.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

booklady I will have to check out that biography. Thank you for recommending it! She is a wonderful Confirmation saint, isn't she? God bless you!

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

Will start this soon.

Stephen I'm glad you enjoyed this book. I find her counsels to the novices to really contain the kernel of her little way. For me, this book only made me think of talcum powder and overheated French piety. Still, St. Therese is one of my chosen patrons, and I speak with her often, so don't flame me. lol

message 4: by Bear (new)

Bear Very insightful! I had forgotten a lot of that info... XOBAR

message 5: by Colana (new)

Colana Hutchinson St. Therese is amazing. Look for our Facebook prayer page for her entitled Friends of St. Therese".

booklady Thank for the invite, but I'm not on facebook anymore. This is my only cyber-link anymore. God bless you for your ministry on her behalf.

Mariana Flores It's nice to find a fellow Catholic who loves God and good books. Many blessings! :)

booklady Thank you Mariana! Yes, I do love God and enjoy books which help me develop my relationship with Him! Blessings to you as well! Welcome to goodreads!