Christopher's Reviews > Whiteout

Sep 19, 2009

liked it
bookshelves: fiction, graphic-novel-comic, re-read
Read in September, 2009

Yes, I pulled this out because I had seen the preview for the Kate Bekinsale movie. I haven't seen the movie, but I'm amazed at 2 items from the preview.

1. Kate Beckinsale? What? Carrie Stetko is no Kate Beckinsale (and this is a good thing in my opinion).

2. Lilly has been replaced by a male UN inspector. Again, why? Rucka was involved in the filming so I can't see why he allowed these two changes.

Whiteout is a tight little noir murder-mystery. Like most noir, the setting is a major character, with all of Antarctica (called "the Ice") standing in for such classic noir cities San Francisco, LA, or New York (usually referred to as "the City"). Also like good noir, what saves a pretty standard mystery from total mediocrity is the depth of our detective main-character. Carrie Stetko is nobody's victim (asserting that is what got her stuck on the Ice in the first place). She also is expressly written and drawn as a real woman with faults that make her all the more interesting. Lilly Sharpe, the British agent, plays the role of our blonde-bombshell femme-fatale, except she also refuses to use her sexuality to affect the situation (even though it being female is all the more affecting is a setting with a 200-1 male to female ratio). We still get sparks between these two, especially when Stetko compliments Sharpe on her "ovaries of brass".

Whiteout at time feels like an attempt at a post-feminist story, but it tries a little too hard. I think it is sad that Hollywood had to cast a sex-symbol for our main character and swap the other female role for a male, either to add sexual tension or because it otherwise had 'too many' strong female characters.

1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Whiteout.

message 1: by Ben (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ben Actually, I heard the reason that Lilly had the gender change in the movie was because Lilly is very close to Rucka's Tara Chase (from Queen & Country). If they ever wanted to do a Queen & Country movie, they didn't want to seem like they were stealing a character from another movie and they didn't want to deal with potential copyright problems.

Christopher Ben wrote: "Actually, I heard the reason that Lilly had the gender change in the movie was because Lilly is very close to Rucka's Tara Chase (from Queen & Country). If they ever wanted to do a Queen & Country..."

I missed that in all the mainstream reviews I read. Most of those clearly hadn't read the graphic novel.

David Completely off-topic - opinion on Queen & Country?