Grace's Reviews > Leviathan: Or, The Whale

Leviathan by Philip Hoare

Sep 24, 09

Read in September, 2009

I didn't realise I was so interested in whales! Well, perhaps I'm not but the brilliance of this book is such that it doesn't matter. It's a very engaging read and full of lovely illustrations. In fact, you get the impression the publishers were surprisingly supportive of what sounds like a slightly leftfield book (400 pages of why I'm interested in whales, the history of commercial whaling and Moby Dick) - they haven't crammed the text in and there are plenty of pictures (black and white). However, I take heart (coming from the 'cut it' school) from the fact that he doesn't seem to have been able to get permission to include the full 'Herman Melville' by W. H. Auden though he clearly wanted to, quoting snippets here and there (or perhaps he did and I just didn't notice, or perhaps it is hideously long?) - anyway, I might look it up. And I want to give Moby Dick itself another go now, having given up at one of the many digressions about whale byproducts first time around. Def worth a read unless you are really determined to have some plot and action.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Leviathan.