Iamthird's Reviews > Celebration of Discipline: The Path to Spiritual Growth

Celebration of Discipline by Richard J. Foster

U 50x66
Sep 18, 2009

Read in September, 2009

Meditation heightens our spiritual sensitivity which, in turn leads us into prayer. Very soon we discover that prayer involves fasting as an accompanying means. Informed by these three Disciplines, we can effectively move into study which gives us discernment about ourselves and the world in which we live.
Through simplicity we live with others in integrity. Solitude allows us to be genuinely present to people when we are with them. Through submission we live with others without manipulation, and through service we are a blessing to them. Confession frees us from ourselves and releases us to worship. Worship opens the door to guidance. All the Disciplines freely exercised bring forth the doxology of celebration. The classical Disciplines of the spiritual life beckon us to the HImalayas of the Spirit. Now we stand at timber line awed by the snowy peaks before us. We step out in confidence with our Guide who has blazed the trail and conquered the highest summit.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Celebration of Discipline.