Heather's Reviews > The Lost Symbol

The Lost Symbol by Dan Brown

1751969
Sep 18, 09

Read in September, 2009

I'm a fan of Dan Brown. I've read all his books - not just The Da Vinci Code and Angels & Demons, but also Deception Point and Digital Fortress. I like his writing style, how his books are layered with codes and mysteries, and how they're so fast-paced they make my heart beat faster because I feel pulled into the stories and into the lives of his characters.

The Lost Symbol is the third book in the Robert Langdon series, and I was glad to see that Brown brought this dynamic and entertaining character back to the United States from Europe and the UK in his previous books. The book starts with a bang, pulling me in within the first few paragraphs, though I didn't feel quite as captivated by this story as I had with his previous two.

As with numbers 1 and 2 in the series, there's a format to the story: Robert Langdon, Harvard professor and expert on symbology and religious iconography find himself embroiled in the middle of a high-stakes religious mystery, where a long-debated and highly protected secret is on the verge of being exposed to the masses and ruined for those who have long stood to protect it. There is, of course, the supporting female character, a smart and capable woman who helps fill in the gaps where Langdon's knowledge leaves off. As was true to the past two books, there is physical and emotional danger, as well as a deranged villain who is at once brilliant, physically superior, and acting in what he believes to be the best interest of the world.

Despite the true-to-form shape of this book, though, it stands well on its own as a book. Although I enjoyed the reading of this book from beginning to end, it wasn't until the final chapters that I felt a strong connection with it, and that is because the view of religion that Brown describes here - as in both of his previous books in the series - falls directly in line with my own personal beliefs of religion and the concept of God. Readers who criticized his previous explanations of such topics will likely find much to refute and criticize here as well, but for me it's like a breath of fresh air, to know that I'm not the only one who sees the universe in greater terms than just a church and its congregants.

This was an entertaining read, as always, and I'm glad to add it to my collections with his other works. I'm sure I'll enjoy reading this particular book more in the future.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lost Symbol.

Eric Yours is a review I love and agree with 100%, Each page brought a new mystery. I could not put it down.

Phoenix Excellent Heather. Thanks for a positive and honest view on what was an entertaining and interesting read.