Abby's Reviews > The Guinea Pig Diaries: My Life as an Experiment

The Guinea Pig Diaries by A.J. Jacobs

1931807
Sep 18, 09

aj jacobs is the man. yeah yeah yeah he's kind of a tool, he recycles his jokes, whatever. anyone willing to spend a month checking his email with the TV, phone, and radio off is a hero in my book (see the chapter on unitasking).
i must say i liked this one significantly less that his other two. the problem laid in the fact that each experiment is only devoted a short essay rather than a whole book. don't get me wrong, i doubt i would enjoy an entire book about what it was like posing naked for a magazine (meh) or pretending to be a celebrity for a night (double meh). the problem is that what seemed to get cut out in the process of whittling these stories down was the stuff that i enjoyed the most (the quips, insights, innuendos). in fact, while the other two books have page numbers down the entire frontspiece of quotes i found particularly hilarious, this one has a measly two ("Plus, in one of his emails, the guy said he didn't like pancakes. What kind of asshole doesn't like pancakes?" and "Paintings! They're like TV, but they don't move.")
my favorite story by far was the one where jacobs lived as george washington. while it was decidedly anti-Jefferson (which i, as a native charlottesvillian, must take the deepest offense to), it made me want to a)go out and learn more about washington and b)be a better person (or try anyway). my second favorite essay was written by his wife, julie, about what it was like living with this guy. she's just as talented and funny as he is...someone give that lady a book deal!
overall, it's not the one i would pick up first. or second. but it's still pretty good. and everyone does love pancakes.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Guinea Pig Diaries.

Quotes Abby Liked

A.J. Jacobs
“Plus, in one of his e-mails, the guy said he didn't like pancakes. What kind of asshole doesn't like pancakes? ”
A.J. Jacobs, The Guinea Pig Diaries: My Life as an Experiment
tags: funny

A.J. Jacobs
“Paintings! They're like TV, but they don't move. ”
A.J. Jacobs, The Guinea Pig Diaries: My Life as an Experiment