Nicolo Yu's Reviews > The Hardy Boys: Undercover Brothers, #1: The Ocean of Osyria

The Hardy Boys by Scott Lobdell

Sep 18, 2009

it was ok
bookshelves: signed-books
I own a copy

Scott Lobdell was the main X-Men writer for the 90's. So I basically grew up on his comics, since Marvel's mutants were my favorite characters.

So I try not to miss any chance to sample any work that came after his X-Men years. Although, I almost missed his take on the Hardy Boys.

I saw soft cover copies at my nearest National Bookstore but I was holding out for a hardback. But chance came at the 2008 Comic Con International in San Diego. I got to meet Scott Lobdell at the Papercutz booth. I got to thank him for the great and not so great X-Men memories and got a hardcover copy of the first volume of the Hardy Boys graphic novel. I had it signed too.

As for the book, I prefer the blue banded originals. The story was fine but it could really use a better artist. The art style is supposed to evoke manga but it’s not as dynamic.

I bet the originals would do better as graphic novels. I know I'd be interested.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Hardy Boys.

Ronyell Great review Nicolo! I agree that the artwork could have been so much better.