Tammy's Reviews > The Sugar Queen

The Sugar Queen by Sarah Addison Allen

Sep 18, 2009

bookshelves: 2009-reads, chick-lit, contemporary-romance, keepers
Read in November, 2009

Wow! Another magical novel by Sarah Addison Allen. Beautifully written. Much like her debut novel Garden Spells, this book contains a blend of interesting food and magic realism.

Josey Cirrini is a chubby, shy recluse who lives with her overbearing mother. She consoles herself with junk food and romance novels that she keeps hidden in her closet. One day her boring life is turned upside down when she discovers local bad girl, Della Lee, hiding in her closet. Desperate to be rid of Della Lee, Josey makes certain promises that lead her on a journey to self-discovery. An unexpected romance with the mailman, a new friendship and answers to questions about her past follow.

I cannot say enough how much I enjoy this author's unique writing style! Each chapter is cleverly named after Josey's favorite sweets and reflects on the various plot themes. Just check out this quote ...

"Books can be possessive, can't they? You're walking around in a bookstore and a certain one will jump out at you, like it had moved there on its own, just to get your attention. Sometimes what's inside will change your life, but sometimes you don't even have to read it. Sometimes it's a comfort just to have a book around. Many of these books haven't even had their spines cracked. 'Why do you buy books you don't even read?' our daughter asks us. That's like asking someone who lives alone why they bought a cat. For company, of course."

Now who here on Goodreads can't identify with that?

Highly recommended!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Sugar Queen.

Quotes Tammy Liked

Sarah Addison Allen
“I think Heaven will be like a first kiss.”
Sarah Addison Allen, The Sugar Queen

Sarah Addison Allen
“Girls like us, when we love, it takes everything we have.”
Sarah Addison Allen, The Sugar Queen

11/09/2009 page 33
11/10/2009 page 101
36.59% "Books are stalking Chloe and bringing in reinforcements. Funny!"
07/25/2016 marked as: read

message 1: by Shawna (new)

Shawna Great review Tammy! Are these romance or do they lean more towards chick-lit?

Tammy Good question! I've seen this one on romance shelves as well as chick lit and magical realism shelves. The romance is definitely prominent and it has a PG-13 scene, but the plot also focuses on Josey's self-discovery that leads to her HEA.

I've learned that what one person might call romance, another might call chick lit. (I've been taken to task before for recommending a contemporary romance that someone else thought was chick lit!) I guess it all depends on perspective? Personally I like books about relationships in general. If there is a romance and a good, strong plot then that is a bonus for me!

Janelle SAA definetly has a neat and refreshing writing style. It's as sugary sweet as the snacks Josey has hiding in her closet! I'm so glad you recommended these books to me. I loved her first book, but this one didn't impress me quite so much. I really look forward to her next book for sure though!