Chelsea's Reviews > Dreamhunter

Dreamhunter by Elizabeth Knox

F_50x66
Sep 25, 09

Read in September, 2009 — I own a copy

The beginning of this book is rather slow. But, I stuck with it because the story seems like it will be so interesting when all the little details come out. I love the concept. Very "Giver-esque" mixed with oh, I don't know...Jumper? But not as "hokey." No, strike that. Giver mixed with Time Traveler's Wife but for kids. LOL. I don't know if I'm even making any sense! Anyway, I'm about a third of the way through so far and it's getting really intriguing! :)

Ok...I'm finished now and I feel weird. It's as though Knox ended this book in the middle of writing it. It was slow and I never found myself not being able to put it down. I will still read Dreamquake just out of pure curiosity but I did not leave this book longing for more.

I just don't understand why anyone would say they "loved" this book or that is was "amazing." I agree with almost every single bad review I read of this book now that I'm done. I had to re-read many sentences which was totally annoying and distracted me from the weird, all-over-the-place story. I agree with someone who said it should have been written from one person's perspective instead of an outside nararrator. I didn't feel like I knew the characters and many times found myself having to go back to see who was talking, thinking, "That doesn't sound like Rose. Wait...I'm confused."

And I hope someone comments on this: I WAS SO ANNOYED WHEN I SAW THE MAP OF THE PLACE! I was so excited when I saw there would be a map through the page I was reading. I turned the page and said out loud, "WHAT?!" It looked like a picture a 5th grader drew on a boring day at school or something! There was no need for it. I even tried going back and referencing it when certain places were mentioned and it was of no help. I was a bit offended as a reader that The Place was the main reason I wanted to read this book and then it was barely explained!!!!

And the dreams?! There was this build up for each dream before it was explained and after reading every single one (even the nightmares) I was THOROUGHLY bored out of my skull. Couldn't Knox have made the dreams a bit more interesting, scandelous, SOMETHING? The Giver is a 6th grade level book and it pushed boundaries more than Dreamhunter!!!

If you can't tell, I'm getting angrier and angrier with every passing moment after I've finished this book. LOL
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dreamhunter.